PS4 Firmware Update 1.70 allows you to archive streams, and a whole lot more
Sony teased the next major PS4 update last month at GDC, and now the company has revealed more information about it. When it goes live, Vita TV owners will also receive a firmware update to enable a long overdue feature.
- Nico Nico Douga is a supported streaming partner.
- Ustream, and Twitch now support [Maximum (HD)] streaming quality.
- On supported services, broadcasts can now be archived.
- Downloadable video editing app from the PlayStation Store.
- Allows users to combine captured video clips for editing, personalize them with special effects using filters, transitions, and themes, as well as share them with friends and social networks.
- Personalize videos by adding text, stickers, and a set of included audio tracks, as well as video commentary with picture-in-picture capability with PlayStation Camera.
- Import original music to add to the custom soundtrack for video creation.
- HDCP signal can be switched off and gameplay recording via HDMI is made possible.
- Videos can be saved, and exported to external USB storage devices.
- SHARE enhancements include the ability to change the gameplay recording time to shorter increments, the ability to change who you share your clips with on the SHARE screen, and the removal of default saves for screenshots and video clips.
Pre-order on PS Store
- Download pre-ordered games on the PlayStation Store days before release to ensure immediate playability at the time of launch.
- Countdown until the release date of the content will be displayed.
Remote Play from PS Vita TV
- Through a PS Vita TV firmware update, the PS4 Link app will appear allowing Remote Play of PS4 games.
- You can log in to two accounts on PS4 from PS Vita TV, so two players can use the Remote Play feature.
- The first player connects to PS4 automatically via the PSN account saved on PS Vita TV.
- With the first player connected, the second player presses the PS button on the other wireless controller to get connected.
I’m honestly not too clear on what the last three bullets mean, so I just lifted that summary word for word from the press release. I think they’re referring to multiplayer games on PS4 through Vita TV Remote Play.
These patch notes are largely from the Asian press release, so some features may not be in your local region’s update. I’m citing them because they’re more in-depth than the western posts.
PS4 system software 1.70 will go live sometime “soon”.