Hands-On With Dive Kick On Vita
It was just last night that I had a blast getting to know a few of the indie devs behind such games as Zombie Tycoon II: Brainov’s Revenge, Rain, and Velocity Ultra. But it was Iron Galaxy Studios’ Dive Kick that grabbed my attention the most. It’s a 2D fighting game that borrows some queues from Street Fighter while also straying as far from the industry standard fighting game formula as possible.
In Dive Kick, I chose one of six different characters followed by one of four gems a la SFXT. The list of characters and gems has not been solidified yet as the game is in pre-Alpha; meaning the devs are still working on nearly everything including art, characters, gameplay, and modes, but their initial game design is strong. The best way to clearly layout the rules to Dive Kick is with good old bullet points, so here you go:
- Only two buttons: Jump, Kick (combine to execute character-specific specials)
- One hit rounds: characters take one hit and the round ends
- 20 second round time: short rounds to keep the pace of the game moving
- Strategy: Win by mastering the dive kick, use any means necessary to trick, deceive and manipulate your opponent into a striking position
- Online multiplayer using GGPO (planned feature)
- Coming to PS3 and Vita
The feature I’m saving for last is the same feature I’m demonstrating in the embedded video above. Two players can go head to head on one Vita. Sounds dumb but it works. There was a PlayStation minis shooter that did this, but never a fighting game. If you liked the video please be sure to follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more. Leave a comment telling me what you thought of the game below.