SHAREfactory used to create this Octodad: Dadliest Catch trophy tip video
At first glance, SHAREfactory is somewhat daunting to use on PS4. Some may find its looks complicated or maybe simplistic, those with less patience or video editing experience may give up altogether. But if you give the free video editing program a solid chance by creating something as simple as a helpful trophy tutorial, like me you’ll may tap into its potential as an alternative to the standard way of editing a short clip with the Share button.
WHAT I LIKED:
- Clean, easy to understand UI
- Small learning curve for beginning video editors
- Fast scrubbing/editing tools
- Not overwhelmed with options, yet still provides plenty of features
- Fun stickers (FX) can be applied to clips
- Built-in selection of music can be used
- Ability to add video/audio or audio only commentary is epic!
- Edit the position and layout of video commentary
- Fast video processing; copy to USB or share to Facebook from PS4
WHAT I DON’T LIKE:
- A theme must be chosen before entering into a project, despite not necessarily needing to use the contents of that theme in your video
- Theme selection is extremely limited at this time
- No way to import, create, or share your own themes
- Limited number of transitions
- No way to import custom music
- No fun sound effects
- No way to edit a sticker’s position on the timeline without deleting and repositioning
- Still no support for direct upload to YouTube
I think SHAREfactory will have some long legs, and it’s my prediction that selling themes will not end with PS3. I can see themes being sold on the PlayStation Store as DLC for SHAREfactory. Maybe a Metal Gear Solid or Street Fighter IV theme complete with intro/outro video, custom font, music tracks, and stickers (FX) for maybe $2-$5.
In the meantime, I made this quick trophy walkthrough video for Octodad: Dadliest Catch. The Secret Gardener is a trophy that requires you to pull the weeds out of Octodad’s wife’s garden without smashing any of her flowers. It can be tricky and frustrating if you don’t understand what you might be doing wrong.
We hope to share more videos with you by way of the tools provided to everyone with SHAREfactory on PS4. If you’ve got a cool SHAREfactory video you’ve created, please share it in the comments section below.