Double Fine’s “Costume Quest” announced
I’m not going to beat around the bush here, I love Double Fine. Their games are hilarious, and while they may not always have great gameplay to back them up, they certainly have heart. We can now add another game to the developer’s admittedly small catalog of charming original games; Costume Quest.
UGO has done an incredible job describing the game in their exclusive article, and as such I’m going to do my best at transcribing the key parts of the article, in easy to understand points;
- This is not a Tim Schafer game – Tasha Harris, Double Fine’s lead animator is leading this project. Schafer is only providing support here.
- Its a downloadable game. This goes without saying on this site, but it marks Double Fine’s first foray into the downloadable landscape.
- Its an RPG. The hero’s sister is kidnapped by a monster, and you have to save her with up to 4 A.I. buddies, completing quests such as making an impromptu Statue Of Liberty costume in order to gain access to a party.
- Its going to be hilarious. This is a Double Fine game through and through, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a joke to be hatched around ever corner.
- Your character is fully customizable. You can choose your gender at the start of the game, and whichever costume you’re wearing dictates your abilities in battle. Wear a knight costume, and you can guard with your shield, for example.
- Its out this year. October 31, to be exact.
That’s the gist of it really. The article (which can be found here) is far better a write up than I can do, as Mr. Plante of UGO has more than likely seen the game. I’d recommend reading it, his write up is excellent.