Review: Super Stardust Portable
Release Date: December 03, 2008
What I liked:
- A solid port of the PS3 version.
- Some of the control choices, i.e. how to spin the gold melter.
- The Impact game mode
- The game has online leaderboards and tracks a ton of stats.
What I disliked:
- The controls take a little getting used to if you are coming straight over from Super Stardust HD.
- I wish the camera was zoomed out a little further.
- I miss the ability to play my own music.
- Not having a friendslist to compare scores with.
I would pick this up solely for the new Impact mode. In Impact mode you gain speed by boosting through enemies and other objects while only having bombs. It can get really intense as it takes longer for you boost meter to charge. I thought that I would miss not having a second analong stick, but they did the best the could with the controls on a PSP. Having the ability to spin the gold melter by holding down all the buttons is a nice touch as well as tapping buttons to do a spread effect. The visuals are great and it is very polished, as you would expect from Housemarque. As a fan of the PS3 version — I got all the trophies 🙂 — you can’t really go wrong with this game.
This game was purchased for review purposes.